Bilingual STEAM Educator
The Da Vinci Science Center is seeking a creative, passionate educator, scientist, or engineer who loves learning about science, technology, engineering, arts, and math, teaching diverse learners, and making a difference in their community. The Bilingual STEAM Educator will deliver extraordinary, fun learning experiences in both English and Spanish, integrating STEAM subjects. This is accomplished through programs that take place off-site, online, and on-site for students, teachers, families, public visitors, and members across the Lehigh Valley and beyond. Specific responsibilities include delivering classroom programs, after school programs, science celebrations, summer learning programs, and science shows. The Bilingual STEAM Educator must be able to read, write and speak Spanish fluently and teach a full class in Spanish as needed. The educator also develops programming materials in both English and Spanish and translates existing program materials into Spanish when needed. The Educator works closely with part time staff, interns, and volunteers as a mentor and trainer, always demonstrating quality and excellence in their own work, and setting an example for other team members. The Educator delivers exemplary customer service and effectively collaborates with community partners. The Educator will display a commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility in all aspects of their work. Creativity, complex problem solving, initiative, and a productive relationship with team members are key to the Educator’s success. The flexible schedule includes some evenings, weekends, and holidays.
SPECIFIC JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
· Demonstrate and work towards mastery of effective presentation techniques, inquiry-based pedagogy, project-based learning, design thinking, maker education, science content, and exemplary customer service.
· Learn the program you will be teaching and be able to answer questions about the topic (training materials will be provided)
· Drive to and from the site where your program will take place, occasionally using a company vehicle (travel is usually within 25 miles of Da Vinci Science Center, but occasionally travel is between 25 and 150 miles from Da Vinci Science Center). Travel in personal vehicles is reimbursed at the federal IRS mileage rate.
· Arrive at the site on time, with a strict adherence to program punctuality
· Set up classroom and teach educational programs in both English and Spanish depending on the audience
· Exhibit positive youth development in classroom management strategies that are appropriate to the physical, social, and emotional development of diverse guests
· Follow the established schedule for the daily events
· Actively engage all guests in learning experiences
· Represent the science center professionally to school and community contacts
· Incorporate feedback into future lessons
· Clean classrooms after each program (put supplies away, wash goggles, wipe tables, sweep floor if needed)
· Carry totes with materials (up to 50 pounds) from place to place
· Proactively provide guests with information about the Center and its offerings
· Create bilingual educational materials in English and Spanish and translating existing materials when needed.
· Deliver scheduled on-site programs including member nights, summer camps, public programs, and more as needed.
Program Development and Training:
· Attend and actively participate in training sessions to understand and implement the Da Vinci Science Center’s inquiry-based approach, next generation science teaching and learning, and effective presentation techniques
· Assist in the development of demonstrations, activities, media, and other program content
· Train volunteers and staff on effective education programs, next-generation science teaching, inquiry-based pedagogy, exemplary customer service, and positive demeanor.
· Train volunteers, staff, and other Team Leaders in new education programming such as Classroom Programs, Science Celebrations, and Live Science Shows.
· Lead teams to develop and implement lessons that are engaging and relevant to participants, aligned to Next Generation Science Standards
· Purchase materials, follow all budget and finance guidelines and policies.
· Make safety a priority. Complete all safety training and follow all safety guidelines. Ensure customers follow safety routines and wear personal protective equipment. Alert management of any safety issues.
· Provide positive interactions with teachers, students, and other customers. Deliver memorable programs. Demonstrate cultural competency and welcome all customers. Continuously improve Da Vinci Science Center products.
· Assist with recruiting staff, volunteers, and interns. Participate in coaching staff, supporting a culture of feedback, innovation, and growth.
· Provide any requested feedback about programs including reflection forms.
· Participate in evaluation of the impact of programs as needed. Incorporate feedback into future programs.
· Promote exemplary communication by actively participating in STEAM team meetings and represent the STEAM team in other cross departmental teams.
· Participate in future planning and development of new program initiatives.
· Able to speak, read and write fluently in both Spanish and English. Ability to translate materials from English to Spanish.
· Degree or equal experience in Science, Engineering, Science Communication, Museum Education, Art Education, or Science Education. International diplomas are welcome.
· Minimum of two years’ experience in a similar education environment or experience working with the public and with children of all ages.
· Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, and Publisher) required.
· Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
· Highly organized and self-motivated individual.
Successful completion of a criminal background check including checks through Pennsylvania State Police and Pennsylvania Child Abuse Registry and FBI fingerprinting checks are required. Other background checks may be required based on current policies and state laws.
Successful candidates will need a valid Driver’s License and proof of Auto Insurance coverage. It is preferred that candidates have a reliable vehicle that can be used for outreach programs. Employees are reimbursed for travel.