STEAM Educator & Program Coordinator
The Da Vinci Science Center is seeking a STEAM Educator and Program Coordinator to join our outreach team deliver science, technology, engineering, arts, and math (STEAM) programs, support the Science Center’s Women in Science and Engineering (WISE) programs primarily off-site, and launch a new STEAM Career Pathways Program. Primary responsibilities include 1) Developing, promoting, and delivering programs on a variety of STEAM topics, especially those related to STEAM Careers and WISE, 2) Coordinating events related to STEAM Career Pathways and WISE, and 3) Expanding and sharing knowledge organization-wide about STEAM Careers and WISE. The STEAM Educator and Program Coordinator works with team members across departments and in the community to continuously expand impact and reach. The flexible schedule includes some evenings, weekends, and holidays.
What You’ll Bring
The STEAM Educator and Program Coordinator is an educator with specific in-depth knowledge about STEAM Career Pathways and supporting Women and Girls in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM). The coordinator has a passion for sharing this knowledge with others. The coordinator will lead the development and implementation of our new STEAM Career Pathways program and coordinate our Women in Science and Engineering (WISE) student programs and public events. They excel at developing positive relationships with students, families, schools and community. They enjoy creating unique and engaging hands-on science, technology, engineering, arts, and math (STEAM) experiences for students (especially 12-18 years old) and families on a variety of topics from manufacturing to healthcare. They can lead and engage large groups of students in STEAM Career awareness and readiness activities. This individual will engage with internal and external partners to develop these programs and must have excellent presentation, leadership, and organizational skills. The candidate will display a commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility in all aspects of their work and a strongly held belief that all students belong in STEAM. Creativity, complex problem solving, classroom management, initiative, and a productive relationship with team members are key to the coordinator’s success.
SPECIFIC JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Program and event development and delivery:
· Collaboratively develop and implement WISE and STEAM Career programs based on research, PA Career Education and Work standards, student and community feedback, and effective teaching techniques. Programs should be innovative, fun, and aligned with STEM career pathways and the interests of 4th-12th grade students. Train others on programs.
· Deliver after school programs, classroom programs, and Science Celebrations off-site. Schedule can include 1 –4 hour-long programs each day, mostly off-site, but some on-site and virtual.
· Lead the development, implementation, and day of program logistics of Career Connection Day Field Trips on-site
· Develop and implement programming for 4th-12th grade STEAM Career Pathways program, launching in 2023
· Coordinate logistics for all WISE events, including working with internal and external partners.
· Drive to and from the site where your program will take place, occasionally using a company vehicle (travel is usually within 25 miles of Da Vinci Science Center, but occasionally travel is between 25 and 150 miles from Da Vinci Science Center). Travel in personal vehicles is reimbursed at the federal IRS mileage rate.
· Engage in ongoing program improvement including providing feedback to other staff, collecting and analyzing surveys and other data, incorporating staff and public feedback into your own programs, and learning about the new tools, technologies, and techniques to improve programs and guest experience.
· Establish and lead a student advisory group.
· Promote exemplary communication by actively participating in Public Programming Committee, Operations Team, WISE Team, and Outreach Team Meetings
· Assist in leading Professional Development opportunities for staff and teachers related to STEAM Careers and WISE
· Become familiar with budget and financial policies. Purchase materials for programs following all financial policies.
· Work with Marketing to actively promote programs, including social media. Work with the team to establish marketing plan for each program. Help to implement the plan. Support timely development of promotional materials.
Expand and Share Knowledge about STEAM Careers and WISE:
· Develop knowledge and expertise in STEAM Careers and WISE programming and disseminate new knowledge to staff
· Promote a positive team atmosphere. Actively participate in solving Center challenges as they arise.
· Actively participate in team meetings to ensure effective communication between departments and that all departments are aware of specific programs and projects.
· Maintain positive relationships with Da Vinci Science Center employees, visitors, partners, and all constituents.
· Become a champion for the WISE initiative and STEAM Career Pathways internally and externally
Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Education: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience required, Museum education, science, technology, engineering, arts, math or education field preferred.
Required Experience: Minimum of two years’ experience in a similar education environment or experience working with the public and with children of all ages. Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, and Publisher) required. Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment. Highly organized and self-motivated individual.
Required Skills: Experience presenting engaging programs to students, especially middle and high school, creative, effective team member, ability to problem solve independently, proficient in word, excel, and other online productivity tools, knowledgeable about STEAM careers, excellent written and verbal communication skills, cultural competency, adaptability to unique situations
Preferred Skills and experience: Bilingual in English and Spanish, expertise in either Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, or Mathematics, knowledge of effective STEAM teaching techniques, experience developing programs, specifically to support women and girls in Science and Engineering, basic graphic design abilities for marketing materials
Successful completion of a criminal background check including checks through Pennsylvania State Police, Federal Bureau of Investigation, and Pennsylvania Child Abuse Registry. Additional clearances may be required as changing regulations are implemented.
Successful candidates will need a valid Driver’s License and proof of Auto Insurance coverage. It is preferred that candidates have a reliable vehicle that can be used for outreach programs when needed. Employees are reimbursed for travel.