Bilingual STEAM Educator
The Bilingual STEAM Educator is responsible for bringing science to life and lives to science by creating memorable learning experiences that provide compelling reasons to visit and meet our educational impact goals for all Da Vinci Science Center audiences. The Da Vinci Science Center is seeking fun, creative, knowledgeable, team-oriented, and dependable educators who enjoy working with people, learning about and teaching science, technology, engineering, arts, and math (STEAM). Exemplary public speaking, organizational, and customer service skills are required. The Bilingual STEAM Educator will display a commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility in all aspects of their work. There is no guarantee of minimum hours; however, up to 28 hours a week are possible. Schedules are dependent upon Science Center attendance, special events, booked programs, and personal availability.
SPECIFIC JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Deliver extraordinary educational programs including, but not limited to: Summer Camps, After School Clubs, Scout Programs, Exhibit Floor Education, and special events. There may also be opportunities to contribute to other events and programs.
• Set up classroom, teach educational activities, and appropriately respond to questions from Science Center guests (training and materials are provided)
• Exhibit positive youth development in classroom management strategies
• Make safety a priority, especially with chemicals
• Follow the established schedule for the daily events
• Actively engage all guests in learning experiences
• Attend and actively participate in training sessions to understand and implement the Da Vinci Science Center’s inquiry-based approach, science content, and effective presentation techniques
• Incorporate feedback into future lessons
• Clean classrooms after each program (put supplies away, wash goggles, wipe tables, sweep floor if needed)
• Monitor supplies and report shortages
• Facilitate the exhibit floor experience by engaging visitors in activities/discussions related to the exhibits
• Maintain safe and clean conditions for visitors and address safety issues immediately
• Deliver educational programming and interact with guests in both English and Spanish
• Other duties as assigned (translation of written content between English and Spanish, etc.)
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Education: High school graduate or equivalent. Some college level education is preferred, especially experience with early childhood education and/or science, technology, engineering, arts, or math courses.
Required Experience: Working with preschool or school-age children.
Preferred Experience: Facilitating science, technology, engineering, arts or math programs for all ages, customer service
Required Skills: Spanish Language fluency (ability to write and speak in Spanish and translate between English and Spanish); ability to engage learners with diverse backgrounds, ages, and abilities; ability to present engaging programs; creative, effective team member; ability to problem-solve independently; proficient in Microsoft Office or Microsoft 365 tools; knowledgeable about STEAM subjects; excellent written and verbal communication skills; cultural competency; adaptability to unique situations
Preferred Skills: Familiarity with museum-based programming, inquiry-based and student-centered teaching methods, and positive youth development models; expertise in either Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, or Mathematics, knowledge of effective STEAM teaching technique